Basic Principles of Website Design Overview
Looking at what is on the Web will help you better understand what types of sites exists which types of sites you are drawn to, and to begin to understand which sites are successful and which fail.
- Create a list of successful and unsuccessful features that can be found on websites. Then use your summarization to find 2 sites that are well-designed and 2 sites that are poorly designed.
- Summarize the successful and unsuccessful web design features. This should be typed and turned in.
Browse the Web to find 2 examples of well-designed sites and 2 examples of poorly designed sites. For each site, determine what makes it a successful or unsuccessful design based on the following criteria:
- General Design
- Be ready to support your choices in class with details from your summary. Tip: For example, if you are interested in creating a portfolio website you might want to look at these types of sites.
- What are some rules of successful design?
- What are some web design features that should be avoided?
- What websites do you like? Why? Are they easy to use? Are they fun?
- What websites do you dislike? Why? Are they difficult to use? In what way?